This week I got the opportunity to interview the wonderful Kara Nichols and I learned a lot of interesting things about her. The thing that stuck out the most for me was how much she has already moved in her life. I would think it’s really hard moving around all of the time while growing up and Kara was able to tell me about her firsthand experience with it.
Q: Where are you from?
A: I was born in Birmingham, Alabama but I’ve moved about 10-11 times in my life so I don’t know if I’m from anywhere specifically. I’ve lived all over the country.
Q: How come you moved so much?
A: My dad just kept changing jobs or getting transferred at the job…so we were just always on the move.
Q: Was it hard to make friends at so many different schools?
A: Yeah…I went to five elementary schools. It’s hard as a kid just getting things done. I remember I went to all day kindergarten in Georgia and I almost failed because I couldn’t tie my shoe. And I got F’s in cutting and in handwriting. My mom was like, “She’s 2-3 grade levels above in reading so she’s perfectly fine. I don’t care if her handwriting doesn’t have the right curly q.” So that was hard.
Making friends is hard too just because people just stick with the people they know. Especially because I moved between sophomore and junior year of high school and I think that was very hard. I had a ton of friends from middle school and high school in California, but then when I moved to Kansas most of the people had lived there since early elementary school and they all had their friends and weren’t interested in really making new friends. When you move in and out you’re kind of always on the outside.
Q: So do you have any old friends that you keep in touch with now?
A: No, I don’t keep in touch with anyone from before college. Most people have tons of friends from high school or when they were young and I mean I had best friends when I was little and I tried to keep in touch with them but it just never worked out. I had 3 or 4 best friends that I hung out with everyday in different places. It’s one of those things where you write letters for a year or two and then after the first year letters start tapering off. And this is before computers got really big and I’m not a big computer person myself. So that makes it pretty hard.
Q: Looking back, do you prefer any specific area?
A: So far I’ve liked California the best but I think eventually I want to head back towards the east coast because I spent the summer in Washington, D.C. and I really liked it. So maybe back there at some point.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
What a great name for this post! It was really cute and made me want to read it right away. I just want to know why you picked it.
I really felt the difficulties that Kara faced in her lifetime. Good job capturing these emotions.
This short glimpse in Kara's life makes me want to know more about her!
Post a Comment